More Agraffee

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Sat, 08 Jul 1995 08:07:20 -0500 (CDT)

On July 8, 1995 Frank Emerson wrote:

>Then, there is the issue of the appropriateness of "doing business" via a
>list server.  Or more to the point, is this doing business?

I'm not sure exactly what "doing business" means on a list that only
exists to aid our mutual business.  I'm not the first to wonder about
this, and we'll probably not solve the problem soon.

The difference in selling and informing is strictly in the eye of the
beholder.  A long commercial break in the middle of my favorite TV program
is "selling" in the most negative context.  A notice about something that
I have been wanting for some time is valued information.

I've heard both extremes expressed here before and it seems some element
of common sense would be very appropriate on this issue.  We are all "in
business" and we share information that helps our business.  The truth is
we've been trying to draw a line of appropriateness that can't be drawn as
a fine line.  It's more of a broad brush stroke and where anything fits in
that broad stoke is an individual call.  The hope is that we can see
things as mildly inappropriate without getting out our fire arms.  Common
sense, tolerance, these aren't such radical concepts really. :-)

In addition I was hoping things like tech bulletins could be sent
individually rather than to the list...just as they would be mailed
individually.

David M. Porritt, RPT
SMU - Dallas