Wippens, Rep springs

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat, 08 Jul 1995 16:42:21 -0500

On Sat, 8 Jul 1995 BRENT.FISCHER@asu.edu wrote:

> I have heard that the metal content of the springs can make a difference
> in the ability to finesse the spring strength. Is this a valid concept?
> Steinway has a phosphorous bronze spring, an alloy of copper and tin.

Except for unbored/tapered hammers and three very recent purchases of
pre-hung hammers--and only because we're so shorthanded--I haven't bought
NY parts in *years* because I think they're quality control is non-
existent.  (Personal opinion, don't everybody start getting offended!)
So I honestly don't know what NY centers are like any more.  The
shanks&flanges we just purchased were pretty inconsistent, but what can
you do when they're already "finished?"  Repinning them would be
counterproductive considering we purchased them so we could replace
several hammer rows that are in dire need of *some* kind of improvement.

The spring wire we use is phosphorous bronze (Rose?).  It handles like a
dream both on the bending gig and in the stack.  Unfortunately, I found
that trying to "get along" with the heavy springs Renner puts in--at
least when I was using rather light hammers--made the action cumbersome
at the top.  Trying to find the break-point between jumpy and swift was
just too enervating and it takes a *lot* for me to lose my patience!
(Just ask my father-in-law!)  So switching out the springs was the only
thing to do.  I think repetition may have even improved a bit (we have a
rather demanding piano faculty! :-).

Just my $0.02.

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois