piano tuning studies

Helmut Wabnig wabi@server.net4you.co.at
Sun, 09 Jul 1995 11:40:13 +0100

     Dear readers,
Many thanks to all who contributed to my request on piano tuning.
You helped me a lot. It will take some time to work through.
Slowly I am recognizing, that I am in the wrong list here, and that
there is a "tuning" list which I will try to get into.
        I have unearthened a very detailed description of a so-called
Bach-tuning, starting at the middle C, and am busy with the frequency
calculations.

A Big Question:
        In the U.S. it is common practice to start tuning at C.
Now, tuning along the way to the first A, how do I make sure that
the A is exactly 440.000000 Hertz, the reference tone?
Different temperatures (and stretching) will result in different
values of the tone A. Probably it is not so important in practice,
but how do I calculate the frequency values of tunings other than
"equal". Obviously one has to calculate beginning with A , find the
frequency for C and start tuning there. But how do I tune my tuning
fork? A weird conundrum.
     By the way: Austrian Telecom offers a standard frecquency service:  (
Country code 43)-222-1509 is 440.000000 Hz  (10 to -6)
calibrate your electronic tuning aid! ( I avoid the word tuner,
because that's you.)
     Finally, let me point your attention to the "Just Intonation
Network" at http://www.dnai.com/~jinetwk/    (use a browser).
they focus on "just tuning" of all kind of instruments. Can you
imagine Beethoven's Eigth in just tuning? It's there!  (alas...)
Furthermore: The alternate tunings list. Send email to:
                 listproc@eartha.mills.edu
                 first line blank
                 second line: subscribe tuning your name

There is still more to it, Internet is busy with this hot topic!
I will be back mid of august.
Have a good time!
Yours
Helmut Wabnig