piano tuning studies

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sun, 09 Jul 1995 08:57:49 -0600

>A Big Question:
>        In the U.S. it is common practice to start tuning at C.

Hmmm... I was under the impression the starting with C was more of a English
or European technique. My father taught me to tune with a C fork, but I
switched to an A because I thought it would be more reliable.

>Now, tuning along the way to the first A, how do I make sure that
>the A is exactly 440.000000 Hertz, the reference tone?
>Different temperatures (and stretching) will result in different

If you use the proper tests the A will be correct. I checked my father's
tunings many times as a youngster and the A was always 440 just as his
father's were. While I was using a C fork mine weren't, but they were quite
close.

As for historical tunings, I use a Sanderson Accu-Tuner II for that. It's
MUCH easier, at least for me.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca