Young-Chang

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:15:26 -0600

>Hello.I can't find my piano action book and I have to do some regulation on a
>Young Chang tonight.Does anyone have the specs. for this It's a 5'10" 10year

Failing in anything else I'd just go ahead and use Yamaha or Kawai specs -
they should be close enough to work well. One thing I've noticed about most
Asian grands is the letoff cannot be much closer than 1/8 inch with a 1/8
inch drop.

>old grand.Also if you have any suggestion for making the action heavier would
>be appreciated.I was thinking of using the jiffy leads.

Check the hammer and rep lever pinning. If there is no resistance and you
repin to 3-5 grams it should increase the touch weight enough without having
to add mass to the key, plus it would make it play better. Most of the Asian
pianos I see here have zero resistance in the hammer flange, and the pin is
tight in the felt and loose in the wood. Repinning has always made a big
improvement in the touch weight, at least in my experience.

I was always taught that each gram of resistance added to a hammer flange
increases the touchweight by about five grams and vice versa.

While I'm on the subject, the first time I went to S&S factory I was shown
an action from a mid-sixties D that had been sent back. Rather than service
the teflon flanges some well-meaning technician had screwed jiffy leads
under the front of each key to reduce the touchweight. You can imagine how
it felt. Another, in which the teflon was "serviced" with tapered reamers,
was so sloppy it never had the chance to develop good tone and of course,
was light. In both cases, proper service of the teflon bushings brought the
touch back to spec.

                                John

John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca
The Calgary Exhibition and Stampede - July 7-16, 1995
http://www.calgary-stampede.ab.ca/