HammerWt/Tone

HartmanCJ@aol.com HartmanCJ@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 21:00:12 -0400

David,

Dont you think it would be better to refer to hammer weight in terms of
actual grams instead of using imprecise terms like heavy or light? A
discussion of real hammer weights would be helpful. May I suggest that the
hammers weight be included with the up and down weights and leverage within
the test note framework.
I have been following the discussion of the relation ship between hammer
weight and tone. One aspect of this that can contribute to confusion is the
fact that heavy hammers are usually hot-pressed and are very hard (read
stiff) while light hammers are cold-pressed and require hardeners in order to
deliver their best tone. In order to compare the volume of tone potential
between light hammers and heavy hammers this difference has to be nullified.
I am not surprised that many techs have come to believe that heavy hammers
are superior to light ones. Voicing hot pressed hammers requires only the
application of needle voicing. A practice that is well understood, easy to do
and approved by all in our field. On the other hand the process of building
the tone into a cold pressed hammer requires the careful and skilled
application of hardeners; a process not well understood within the community
of technicians. In addition there is continuing and growing condemnation of
the process primarily stirred up by ignorance and by dealers of imported
hammers.
I certainly cant agree that a heavy hammer is requires to have a powerful
tone. I have witnessed many examples of truly powerful pianos with light cold
pressed hammers.  Of course I have also seen many examples of powerful heavy
hot-pressed hammered pianos as well. What these pianos have in common is more
interesting to me than the issue of what hammers they have.
The above in no way alters the importance of the relationship between hammer
weight and leverage that you have been working on. At the bottom of this is
probably some very simple and elegant relationship between leverage, hammer
weight and friction and some sort of equilibrium between, key acceleration,
hammers acceleration and the hammer's compliance. In fact I would guess that
the piano action, as we know it, is the expression of these relationships.
Our theory is now catching up with the evolutionary process that created the
modern piano.
In spite of the importance of the theory I cant help but wonder if we are
going in circles about hammer weight. Most of us have tried making the
hammers lighter, and yes it made a difference. And some of us also tried
heavier hammers and again there was some improvement. Either way there was a
trade off between how well the action functioned and the tone and naturally
we learned a lot about how the action works. When alls said and done we may
find our selves going back to using hammers that are neither heavy nor light
but just right.

John Hartman

P.S. At last years convention I saw some hammers that where truly light. The
salesman was very proud that his company had finally perfected, after several
years of development, these new feather light hammers specifically for the
American technician as replacement hammers. I didnt have the heart to tell
him that they were too late; most of us have gone on to using heavier than
average hammers. It pays to stay informed.