HammerWt/Tone

BDeTar@aol.com BDeTar@aol.com
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 00:16:12 -0400

David,

I really like your analogy of the "rainbow", and agree with it, to a point.
  Where I have to disagree with the analogy is in the notion that, no matter
what the weight of the hammer, the tonal "spectrum" will remain the same.
Keep in mind that what we're really talking about, is how long the hammer
stays in contact with the string.  Yes, based on using the RIGHT, properly
voiced hammers for a given string scale design (is it high or low tension
scale) it is possible to achieve a "full dynamic range".  However, put a
light (or less dense) hammer on a high tension scale, and I can assure you
the dynamic range will be compromised.  Conversely, if you put heavy, dense
hammers on a low tension scale, the tone (BEFORE VOICING!!)  will not be
capable of producing a wide dynamic range.  This is due to two primary
factors involved in tone production.  First is the energy transfer that must
take place between the hammer and the string.  Second is the "squelching" of
unwanted partials by the hammer itself as it remains on the string awaiting a
change in direction and ultimate departure from the string.  Both are factors
of time.  The amount of time the hammer stays in contact with the string, and
that is dictated by a BALANCE of weight and density.

You alude to that fact in your statement: "As a general rule: the lighter the
hammer the softer the felt needs to be in order to achieve the rainbow
effect, and vice versa".  To clarify this point, the lighter hammer can
AFFORD to be softer.  It doesn't have the inherent weight to inhibit the
reversal of inertia as it rebound off the string.  On the other side, the
heavy hammer NEEDS to be denser, or harder, to help it overcome the effect of
inertia as it attempts to change direction as it leaves the string.  In other
words, the longer the hammer stays in contact with the string, the fewer
upper partials that are left to be heard, Thereby limiting the "full dynamic
range.

Remember that the key words here are "improper weight"

Now, should we throw into the equation the ability of the voicer?  Some are
able to get an incredible amount of tone out of any hammer, be it "light" or
"heavy.  To further muddy the subject, we have to define "full dynamic
range".  My definition would most certainly include volume as a component.

Oh, well, LOTS more to discuss on this subject, but I think I've rambled on
long enough.  I just can't help getting excited about the opportunity to
exercise "expansion of  our horizons" by trading theories and observations in
a "relatively" safe environment.  Yes, this can leave one open to "spaming",
but please, everyone, remember this:

        "THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING....RISK EVERYTHING!!!"

Thanks, David, for the stimulation, and the challange, and thanks,
"Pianotechers" for the lively, RESPONSIBLE, debatin' information medium!!

Brian De Tar  RPT
BDeTar@aol.com                   "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY OPPORTUNITIES"