Tough jobs and Hearing

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 23:17:27 -0500

Unless you're qualified, I think you're better off leaving the task of
informing said customer about their declining auditory sense to someone in
the medical field.  I think I would take grave offense if my piano
technician presumed to suggest that my hearing was failing!

You could, of course, raise your voice a bit as you speak to them--not
yelling, mind you!--to perhaps give them or someone (a spouse or other
relative) standing within earshot the idea that you believe that this
person is a little hard-of-hearing.  Try not to make it too obvious.  :-)

If they say something like "Please don't yell, I'm not deaf!" you could
apologize and say "I'm sorry, I wasn't sure" and continue the
conversation (normal voice) without missing a beat.

You haven't told them you thought they were going deaf.....just planted a
seed of doubt.

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois