Center Pin Lubricant

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 19:25:02 +0000 (GMT)

> The major American piano manufacturer that I work for has two methods for
> treating tight action centers.
>
> 1) a 1:8 silicone/naptha solution: 1/2 pint silicone to 1/2 gal. naptha
> apply liberally to all action centers
>
> 2) methanol/water shrinking solution: 75% water 25% methanol, to be
> applied to those centers that didn't respond to the first treatment.
> Drying time is 4-6 hrs., using a hair-dryer speeds it up.

0> (Any chance that alcohol is a single malt?)           (-8

Rob,

First it was  a pint of beer or two, :-)

So that's what you are all doing, with alcohol  very interesting
as any one done a long term study on the effects of alcohol on
the bushings?

I personally store my center pins in a  50/50 dry powder graphite
and baby powder mixture, (the stuff you put on babies bums)  this
allows me to have a tighter fit in the wood and the bushing and
still alow the center to move freely I uses to just use 100%
graphite but this was messy and  difficult to get of your hands.

thanks for the info

--
Barrie Heaton MABPT MIMIT
England.