Tough jobs and Hearing

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:26:43 -0500

While I appreciate Mr. Fine's keen view on how one might go about
advising a client that they are (or are becoming) "audibly challenged,"
I would like to make it clear that I did *not* advocate shouting at a
client.  I suggested slightly raising the voice--*without making it too
obvious*.  I think there's a distinction.

Personally, since I have the rare luxury of picking and choosing who
will be my clients, I would just as soon not have to contend with
customers who have hearing problems severe enough to call into question
my abilities as a tuner.  I have yet <knocking on wood> to encounter
such a situation onstage or in someone's house.  When it happens, I'll be
sure to keep Fine's advice--and all of the rest of those that I can
remember at the moment--in mind!

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois