farming out work?

Bob Simmons bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:00:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'm one of those weird technicians who doesn't enjoy shop work. I've done
a little rebuilding, just enough to be critical of other's work, but not
enough to be systematic, and make money at it. But I've never figured out
how to cooperate with a rebuilder, to make it worth my while, and not take
excessive risks (by mis-estimating, or having to over-follow-up after the
work). Today I tuned a Steinway S, which would be a prime candidate for
extensive work, but I didn't even mention the need, because I'm not about
to take it on.

Could anyone offer me some guidance in developing a mutually beneficial
relationship with a rebuilder - - like how to be an effective liaison in
selling these jobs; how much to be involved in the estimate process; how
to assure that I'm not the "bad guy" in jobs taking longer than promised;
even some personal recommendations wouldn't hurt (Southern California
area).

I know I'm not doing my clients any favor by closing my eyes to their
piano's needs; but every time I take on a more extensive job, I keep promising
myself, "never-again."

Bob Simmons, RPT