Stanwood's Philosophy

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 09:54:31 -0400

The following letter was published in Piano & Keyboard magazine a few months
after it was sent.  It was in response to a review of Ed McMorrows book.
I'm posting it to pianotech because it may be helpful to the current
discussion on hammer weight and ratio.  It was the first time I publicly
stated my position on things relative to my work:

Timothy Pfaff - Editor
Piano and Keyboard Magazine

Dear Mr. Pfaff,                                  11/18/93

Your recent publication of a letter by Edward N. Zalta, in
the November/December issue of Piano and Keyboard
Magazine, regarding Ed McMorrow's "Light Hammer
Technique", touches upon several controversial points,
which, for the benefit and education of your readers,
should be addressed.

It is a point of debate whether the newer Steinways "sound
as good, or play as well as well preserved older ones".  I
take the view that if there is a general fault with the
modern piano, it lies not in the weight of the modern
hammer, but the lack of piano technicians who are skilled
in the art of voicing the modern hammer.  A piano that is
not voiced up to full steam will not play well.
Consequently the whole piano is thought to be inferior.

For a time, I personally followed the light hammer road,
believing in many of the lines of logic that McMorrow
exposes.  But I have listened to what a large number of
professional pianists tell me and they have taught
otherwise.  I have learned that the stripped down light
hammer produces a tone which does not carry adequately,
especially in ensemble situations.  The tonal requirements
of the 20th century demand a more massive hammer.  The
modern weight hammer such as that used by Steinway today
is the result of many decades of trial and error, finding
just the right weight of hammer that brings out the
maximum potential of the modern instrument.  The modern
weight hammer simply has a bigger sound than its antique
counterpart.

McMorrow contrasts his technique with my technique, and
clearly implies that I do not take the tone into account
when dealing with the touch.  This is false and
misleading.  The philosophy of my techniques are based on
the synergistic relationship between tone and touch, with
tone taking the dominant role.

In contrast to McMorrows technique, whereby the weight of
the hammer is sacrificed to "match the period of the
string", my technique gets a similar effect, but I do not
sacrifice the bigger sound of the modern hammer.  Let me
explain:

The ideal hammer produces a bright and powerful tone when
played loudly, and a velvety mellow tone when played
softly.  The varied tonal mix that is possible in between
these two extremes gives the pianist a wide choice of
tonal color.

I achieve this voicing ideal by using techniques which
maintain maximum softness and resiliency at the surface of
the hammer, making the sublayers of felt progressively
harder.  The distance from the surface of the hammer to a
point within where maximum hardness is attained, I call
the "Gradient Zone".  Within the Gradient Zone are
contained a wide range of felt densities which help to
create a wide range of tonal color.

There is significant variation in the resonant qualities
of individual pianos. The trick is to match the Gradient
Zone with the unique characteristics of the individual
instrument.  Pianos which are highly resonant achieve
maximum tonal quality with a deeper Gradient Zone.  Pianos
which are less resonant require treatment that creates a
shallower zone with the hard sublayers of felt closer to
the surface.  When the ideal Gradient Zone is attained;
the tone immediately opens, becoming "pure and bell-like",
with limitless variations of tonal shades available to the
pianist.

Regarding the action, McMorrow fails to address the
central issue of lever ratio in the piano key.  This
relates to the speed at which the hammer rises when the
key is depressed.  The lighter hammers common in the 19th
century are used in conjunction with actions which have
less leverage, and therefore the hammer moves more quickly
as the key is depressed.  The heavier hammers of today
require more leverage to catapult them to the string.  The
modern style action is made such that the hammers rise
more slowly in relation to key depression.  The slower
moving, heavier hammer of today delivers more energy to
the string than the faster moving light hammer of the last
century.

The combination of lever ratio and hammer weight governs
the characteristic feeling of the action.  Unfortunately
there exists wide variation in lever ratios found in
pianos from any period.  This creates problems.  For
instance, using a light, antique weight hammer with the
modern style lever ratios is not recommended since the
lower velocity combined with less mass will transmit
insufficient energy to the string.  The action will feel
too light, and the pianist will feel frustrated when
trying to get a big sound.  Conversely, modern weight
hammers used with older style lever ratios will make the
action feel heavy, difficult to control, and may cause
physical harm to the pianist.

Today, the concert pianist performs on a nonstandardized
instrument.  As a friend put it, "performing on tour is
like a string of blind dates", referring to the variety of
pianos she is required to perform on.  Aside from voicing,
action is the major problem.  It is either too light, too
heavy, or too unresponsive,... sometimes it's just right.
My vision is  standardization of hammer weight and lever
ratio, because it strikes at the core of the problem.

One final point: I agree that pianists can tolerate the
high touchweight that McMorrow accepts in his work.
However,  pianists repeatedly tell me that they find high
touchweight a hindrance when playing pianissimo, and a
barrier when playing glissando.

- David C. Stanwood