HammerWt/Tone

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 17:39:03 -0400

Stephan writes:

>> The single most important conclusion of my years of studies is that
>> a heavier hammer moving more slowly creates more tone than a lighter
>> hammer moving faster.

>Question for D.S...what do you mean by `more tone' above?

I mean more energy.  Such as would be indicated by signal strength from a
microphone.  This is different from volume which is relative notes played at
different speeds.

As I mentioned before, as hammer weight approaches zero so must the tone.
The relationship is something I would love to learn about.  I'm sure it's
not linear but it's possible that in the ranges that we use in pianos that
is is on a part of the curve that is fairly straight.  I'm only shooting
from the hip here.

Stanwood