Bechstein Treble Wire Scale

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 20:42:41 -0400

Help!!!
I 've got a problem . I am rebuilding a 1902 Bechstein Upright, Model V (85
note) Serial Number 28557 and I have misplaced (read lost, the dog ate
them.......) some of my tear-down notes, namely the treble wire scale
micrometer  measurements. To tell the truth, I didn't have much faith in
those measurements anyway, as the piano has been re-strung previously and I
regarded the scaling as I received it as specious.

Do any of you have this scale in your files?  If not, I guess I'll have to do
all the measurements and calculations [sigh :-( ].
O well.

This piano has 28 plain wire unisons  beginning with C#3 to the treble break,
then 28 plain wire unisons to the top A7.
There are 15 Single bass strings and 14 bi-chord unisons. The bass bridge is
an extension of the treble bridge.

Any help would be much appriciated. BTW, does anyone remember the Klepac
Chart.  It was a method of devising a plain wire scale for a piano by
measuring the speaking length, finding that length on the chart and reading
the wire size. I never used it, and don't plan to, but ran across a copy
while looking for my #@!%* teardown notes. Did this ever have any validity?
Just wondering.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University