More Agraffes

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 21:05:21 +0000 (GMT)

In your message dated Sunday 16, July 1995 you wrote :
> > Date:          Sun, 16 Jul 1995 00:16:38 -0600 (MDT)
>

> > > the thread size of my agraffe was not available in Helicoils.  The
> > >agraffee was 1/4" by 36.  He believes that a good epoxy should do >the job.
> >

> > I do not believe that epoxy would be a good solution.   My experience with
> > helicoils has been that they work
> > OK until the threaded member is later removed.
>
> > There is a reason that the tiny 36-thread/inch is used.   A 36 thread/inch
> > agraffe can be overtightened up to
> > a 1/4 turn to achieve the correct alignment, while a 18 thread/inch agraffe
> > would break off before yeilding to this amount of overtightening.

In 1998  I had to repair an Iback  O/O  with a broken agraph. the
agraph was delibitry smashed off, the customer said probabley at
the docks when she moved form South Africa.  Well we had a
problem the agreph was set in wood and the soronding wood was
damaged, I thought of drilling out and putting a wooden dowel in
and re drilling to the correct size and taping  we tested this
out first on the bench  but of course the grain was running the
wrong way and when tappet in to the wood it flaked (the wood was
beach) so we decided on glue.  The shaft of the Iback agraph was
longer than eney I could get from a supply house the closes we
found was an old Broadwood piano  we used apoxie-resin  glue
after two days put the  new strings on puled up above pitch  left
for a week to if it  worked it did no movement.  I still tune the
piano and the agraph is OK.  But I do not think this would of
worked if it had been a grand as the presser is upward and side
ways on a grand agraph, but on an upright it is down and side
ways plus I was guleing metal to wood and not metal to metal.

Barrie Heaton MABPT MIMIT
England.