HammerWt/Tone

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:16:02 -0400 (EDT)

Birkett wrote:
> >Question for D.S...what do you mean by `more tone' above?

D. Stanwood replied:
> I mean more energy.  Such as would be indicated by signal strength from a
> microphone.  This is different from volume which is relative notes played at
> different speeds.
>
> As I mentioned before, as hammer weight approaches zero so must the tone.
> The relationship is something I would love to learn about.  I'm sure it's
> not linear but it's possible that in the ranges that we use in pianos that
> is is on a part of the curve that is fairly straight.  I'm only shooting
> from the hip here.

You described one of the most obvious non-linearities in the piano
recently in the letter you passed on to us here...i.e. voicing. The
compliance of a hammer striking a string at a low velocity is in the
softer (more linear) outer region of the felt. As the velocity
increases the hammer hits the string with stiffer compliances...but
this compliance also changes throughout the period of contact between
the hammer and string. This is a nonlinear relationship. Tonally the
difference is that, compared to a soft blow, a faster hammer speed
means (as well as louder sound) a brighter sound. The overall tonal
energy is increased compared to the softer blow, but the higher
harmonics receive more increase than the lower ones. This nonlinear
response to hammer velocity is independent of the mass of the
hammer...it's a reflection of the nonlinearity of the hammer felt
compliance. The matching of voicing to resonance which you referred
to in your letter is an intuitive and empirically-based attempt to
control the non-linear compliance of the hammer felt....this is why
voicing is primarily an art and needs so much experience to do well.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686