More Agraffes

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:36:28 -0500 (EST)

I tried the epoxy.  The epoxy was old so it never setup.  I then
called Baldwin and they were kind enough to send the Technical by
way of FAX.  It turns out that the technical is nothing more than
a handout for a class given by Paul Bergan of the Houston Chapter
in 1978.  So thanks Paul where ever you might be.

I followed the advice of this technical.  I drilled the hole in
question out to 5/16" but not all the way through the plate.  I
then tapped the hole to 3/8-16 with a tapered tap.  I couldn't
tap down far enough since the taper of tap bottomed out in the
hole so I ended up drilling the rest of my 5/16" hole through the
plate with a 1/4" bit.  I was then able to tap the hole as deep
as I needed to go.  Next I purchased a 3/8 - 16 Hex head bolt
3/4" long.  I will take this bolt to a machine shop where they
will drill through it and tap for a 1/4 -36 agraffe.  The
diameter of a 3/8 screw without the threads is .293 ".  Drilling
a hole through the center 1/4" would leave the walls of this
insert to about .020 " thick.

I had to order this tap from Schaff since no one around here
seems to have this odd size tap on hand.  When I go to thread my
insert in the plate it should brake off flush with the top of the
hole quite easily when the insert bottoms out in the hole.

Michael Wathen