coupled motion of piano strings

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

Michael wrote (on the subject of coupled motions of piano strings):
> I have a transducer that collects the signal of the motion of the
> string excited by a grand hammer of an action model.  My device
> consists of a monochord with piano like terminations. The string
> passes by two copper plates each about three inches long.  The
> string [.....snip....]
> Since the plates are
> perpendicular to each other they have the ability "see" the string
> motion in two independent planes. [....snip....]
> After a few milliseconds the motion begins
> in the horizontal plane.  This horizontal movement delay is when the
> string moves after it has been reflected from the nearest
> termination
> point.  I can see that time delay vary as I change the strike point
> of the hammer in relation to the string. I can also detect differing
> decay rates between the two planes of motion. Thi s verifies some
> earlier work of Weinrich (1977 JASA, I believe).

You might like to check out the follwoing reference on this subject:
    F.L. Curzon, Classroon simulation of the coupled motion of piano
    strings, Am. J. Physics 52 (1984) 137-139
The author describes a contraption they built with an aluminum pipe
and some springs to demonstrate the `Weinreich effect' as they call
it...symmetric and anti-symmetric vibrations. Sounds like a
mechanical version of your experiement...would be interested in
seeing the results of your work. BTW the oringal paper by Weinrich is:
    J. Acoustical Soc. Amer. 62 (1977) 1474-?
There is also the Scientific American article [240 (1979) p94-?]

> I do plan to publish this when I polish up the experiment.  I need
> to eliminate
> some confounding errors, organize my data, and prepare a
> presentation.

How about video-taping your experiment.

> I do not plan to have it published in a scientific
> journal so it will probably end up in our "Journal".

Publish this somewhere at least...it sounds good?

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686