More Agraffes

John Timothy Hast jhast@ionet.net
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 07:49:58 -0500

Michael the procedure you mentioned is not as difficult as it might seem.  I
have done this twice.  Both times we bored the 3/8th inch hole all the way
throught the plate.  We bored a hole through a piece of 2/4 pine and
threaded it to screw the 3/8 inch threaded stock into, in order to hold it
in the correct position to drill a smaller hole in the middle to tap out for
the agraffe threads.  after you have made your plug use some 5-minute epoxy
to lube the threads,  insert the agraffe in the new plug and install the
whole assembly.  call me or e-mail me for support

John T. Hast,(Tim)  RPT
>I tried the epoxy.  The epoxy was old so it never setup.  I then
>called Baldwin and they were kind enough to send the Technical by
>way of FAX.  It turns out that the technical is nothing more than
>a handout for a class given by Paul Bergan of the Houston Chapter
>in 1978.  So thanks Paul where ever you might be.
>
>I followed the advice of this technical.  I drilled the hole in
>question out to 5/16" but not all the way through the plate.  I
>then tapped the hole to 3/8-16 with a tapered tap.  I couldn't
>tap down far enough since the taper of tap bottomed out in the
>hole so I ended up drilling the rest of my 5/16" hole through the
>plate with a 1/4" bit.  I was then able to tap the hole as deep
>as I needed to go.  Next I purchased a 3/8 - 16 Hex head bolt
>3/4" long.  I will take this bolt to a machine shop where they
>will drill through it and tap for a 1/4 -36 agraffe.  The
>diameter of a 3/8 screw without the threads is .293 ".  Drilling
>a hole through the center 1/4" would leave the walls of this
>insert to about .020 " thick.
>
>I had to order this tap from Schaff since no one around here
>seems to have this odd size tap on hand.  When I go to thread my
>insert in the plate it should brake off flush with the top of the
>hole quite easily when the insert bottoms out in the hole.
>
>Michael Wathen

John Timothy Hast, RPT
"What does not kill us makes us stronger"
jhast@ionet.net