Bach frequencies

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 15:28:35 -0500

        I must agree with Bill. It is quite clear that Bach did not include
his specific preference for temperament in the playing of that work- or any
other. At this time, in 1722, there were basically two tuning methods, the
old and the new. We all agree that the WTC was intended for the newer
tuning style, which today we call well-temperament. Any well-temperament is
appropriate for this work and the particular choice is a matter of
aesthetic interpatation for the tuner and/or performer. A good tuner will
also be able to tailor that specific temperament choice in a way that best
compliments the harmonics of the particular instrument involved.  I am
always uneasy when people start talking about *the* perfect temperament
formula, even for a given particular music.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College