Bach frequencies

Helmut Wabnig wabi@server.net4you.co.at
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 22:13:31 +0100

>>This is the frequency table for the historical Bach tuning.
>>Reconstructed by scientific methods. Usable for 24 Keys.
>>"Das Wohltemperirte Clavier" was composed for this temperament.
>
>Uh...........whoa, there pardner!   With all due respects to Mr. Kellner
>and his valuable work. . . . I do believe that there is a lot of conjecture
>and disagreement among modern scholars in regards to the sort of tuning
>that J.S had in mind when he wrote the Well-Tempered Klavier.
>Unfortunately, as soon as someone invokes the magic words "reconstructed by
>scientific methods," a lot of people suddenly prostrate themselves. . . .
>mindlessly babbling incantations of adulation to the god of science.

>Bill Darst
>Music Dept
>UC Santa Barbara

aeh..hum..ah....oh.. yes you are right,
I took that sentence out from the original text,
and put it there without much reflection.

You are right also on the rest, because there
is no one way. (But some ways might be wrong ways.)

Therefore it's nice to have a digital piano with microtuning
to try things out and listen to the same piece
in several tunings.
I only wish they would make a digital piano with a
real good grand piano keyboard. They are centuries behind.

Yours
Helmut Wabnig
wabi@net4you.co.at