Inertia

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 14:34:12 -0500 (EST)

>>>>Subject: Re: Inertia

Dennis,

Inertia is a function of mass and velocity.  My system describes mass as
strike weight and velocity as strike ratio in terms that are usable by piano
makers and technicians.  Hammers have evolved to an upper limit that is very
well defined by the weight of Steinway concert grands and which correlate
very closely with my "full" projection zone.  Is there an argument with what
is used on 90% or so of all performance pianos?

David C. Stanwood>>>>>

Inertia has nothing to do with velocity and for all practical purposes it
is synonomous with mass.  When you say that something is a function of
something else you mean that it is dependent upon some variable.  In this
case you might want to refer to Rotational Inertia which has a rather
complicated definition where the distribution of mass around a center and
its distance from that center is summed up for an area or volume in question.
>From Newtons Second Law we can get a definition of inertial mass.

      F = m * A

where F is a force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.  For example,

      Suppose I have a 50 lb. weight we can calculate the mass by

      50 lb. = m * 32 ft/sec^2

Here the F or force is the weight and A is gravitional acclereration here
on the face of the earth.  Do a little algebra and you will have the mass.

Michael Wathen