Inertia

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 16:00:59 -0400

Stephan Wrote:

>Seems that the hammer head mass has evolved empirically to match the
>string mass in an optimal way, not necessarily an upper limit in the
>sense of the action. My project may shed some light on this matching
>of hammer and string.

Stephan,

My full projection zone is a conservative recommendation based on actual
conventional use of hammer weights in the feild.  The upper full projection
strike range is limited to were it is for two reasons.  One is that I can't
recommend using higher weights because I have no data to tell me what the
ramifications are.  The other is that even with a low end strike ratio,
strike weights above the full zone are likely to feel heavy.

If you are interested in testing heavy heavy hammers and still have a
playable piano, I recommend using a strike ratio level of 5.0, balance to a
58 gram balance weight and bring the final balance weight down to a 38 gram
level with heavy support springs.

David S.