hammers etc

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 10:57:50 -0400 (EDT)

To clarify a bit some of the basis for recent discussions: I do
understand D. Stanwood's primary motivation is to provide a useful
practical method for technicians to compare action characteristics.
My own interests (still early days) are obviously somewhat different,
and more theoretical, trying to understand the physical basis for
piano tone. My primary consideration is to develop a realistic
computer model of the energy transfer from hammer to string, so that
different early pianos may be compared and the reasons they sound
different understood. The constraint of *realism* in such a model
requires a great attention to physical detail, which is obviously
not required in a system of metrology such as D.S. is presenting.

Another difference, apart from the motivation, is in the application
points: D.S.'s work is based more toward the action end of the
process, finishing at the hammer, whereas my work begins at the
hammer and continues to the physics of tone production and string
vibrations. There is an overlap here at the hammer itself.

In spite of these differences I think there can be mutual benefit
between our goals, whether theory or practice. I should mention that
my background in this subject comes from *engineering* analysis,
rather than physics. There is quite a difference here, since the
engineering approach always maintains a link with reality and
practice, whereas the physicist doesn't care about such things.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686