Re-Post

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 16:16:50 -0400

I sent the following post last week but many members of this list were away
at the convention. Forgive me,but here it is again. Hopefully, some of you
lucky ones who were in New Mexico will have an answer to my problem,
otherwise I guess it's "calculator-city"
Thanks.

Date:  Mon, Jul 17, 1995 0:43 GMT
From:  Wippen
Subj:  Bechstein Treble Wire Scale
To:      pianotech@byu.edu

Help!!!
I 've got a problem . I am rebuilding a 1902 Bechstein Upright, Model V (85
note) Serial Number 28557 and I have misplaced (read lost, the dog ate
them.......) some of my tear-down notes, namely the treble wire scale
micrometer  measurements. To tell the truth, I didn't have much faith in
those measurements anyway, as the piano has been re-strung previously and I
regarded the scaling as I received it as specious.

Do any of you have this scale in your files?  If not, I guess I'll have to do
all the measurements and calculations [sigh :-( ].
O well.

This piano has 28 plain wire unisons  beginning with C#3 to the treble break,
then 28 plain wire unisons to the top A7.( each string in the top section is
individually tied).
There are 15 Single bass strings and 14 bi-chord unisons. The bass bridge is
an extension of the treble bridge.

Any help would be much appriciated. BTW, does anyone remember the Klepac
Chart.  It was a method of devising a plain wire scale for a piano by
measuring the speaking length, finding that length on the chart and reading
the wire size. I never used it, and don't plan to, but ran across a copy
while looking for my #@!%* teardown notes. Did this ever have any validity?
Just wondering.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University