Inertia

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 12:03:03 -0400

Dennis Wrote:

>The difference then, is inertia and tone. It must be a personal,
>aesthetic judgement whether or not the tone of heavy hammers is worth the
>added inertia. Personally, I still am not convinced that it is (at least
>for most pianos) but I will read David's argument.

Let me make a point here.  The only place were I recommend against using
hammers in the medium to light range is in concert situations.   Gary Green
commented not to long ago: "I can't understand the argument for lighter
hammers.  We know that the heavier hammer works best".  Aren't 90% of
Symphony concert instruments Steinway?

Personally I have no problem with hammers that are lighter provided they are
matched to the strike ratio.  In other words the actions should not be too
light or too heavy unless the individual situation demands extremes for
specific reasons.

Let's keep it simple.

David C. Stanwood