Steinway action info

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 13:21:08 -0600

(The original thread was "Key Leads")

A question had been raised in this list about Steinway's key leading. I was
curious myself so I passed that message along. Here is a response to it
which I received from Gary Green (via a gateway) this morning.

Regarding the accelerated action we really have not "changed back"
but developed a combination of both systems of weighing off more
towards the front continuing to use the half round more as a result
of changes in the hammer weight.

Using less lead by moving it more forward reduced key mass and
therefore faster key return.  Some artists had complained that the
accelerated action was to fast and got away from their fingers
during key depresssion.

I look at the current system as a logical development of keeping a
more defined point to point contact of balance point of the key to
the balance pin by using the half round along with minimizing
excessive mass in the key by leading more forward for faster key
return.

Gary Green
Director of Technical Services
Steinway and Sons

If I may add something about Steinway and EMail, if anyone has specific
comments they would like forwarded to the factory or Steinway Hall via the
Internet here or privately I would be happy to pass them along. They don't
officially have EMail or WWW service there yet but expect to at sometime in
the near future.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca