More Agraffees

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 00:06:44 -0500 (EST)

I finally recieved the hex head bolts back from the machinists.
I had four of them done.  They looked quite nice with hole
drilled perfectly through the center and tapped for 1/4 " 36.  It
cost me $25 and a lot of time when all I really wanted to do was
go ahead and finish the piano.

I ran one of these bolts into the hole that I had enlarged and
tapped.  When the bolt bottomed out in the hole I marked the bolt
as close to the surface of the plate as possible.  I then removed
the bolt and with a hacksaw cut through the threads some what at
the place where I had made my mark.  Next the bolt went into the
piano one last time and when it bottomed out this time I gave a
couple of slow turns until the head sheared off.  This shear left
an uneven surface but I was able to make things okay with a 1/2
drill. The agraffe went in and tightened up without a hitch.  It
worked like a charm.  I did not epoxy the insert as was suggested
because I had a great fear of the threads becoming messed up when
I sheared off the head.  If I had used epoxy I might run into
some difficulties getting that bolt out.

Michael Wathen