Mute strip on shallow strings

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sun, 30 Jul 1995 00:42:26 -0400

Dear Lloyd,

Your comments:
>>I face next week...a console with an extremely short
distance between the strings and the plate, making it difficult (if not
impossible) to keep the mute strip in.  Grateful for any suggestions or
ideas. . .<<

I sympathize with your situation.  I have met one or two of those type
pianos.  As I recall, I mute stripped the strings where the felt strip would
stay in place, and for the rest of the strings (if you haven't guessed by
now), I use two rubber mutes with wire handles.

It requires a minor attitude adjustment and a minor reality adjustment in
time to accomplish the overall tuning.  Also makes for excellent practice on
the art of inserting and reinserting rubber mutes :>

If one doesn't lament their situation and doesn't get in a hurry, the tuning
is over suprisingly quick.  It's all the concern and thinking about it that
makes for excess time on location.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter