Re postings about wood

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 01 Jun 1995 15:43:02 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  3:01 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re postings about wood                Date:  6/1/95

Item # 1:  I really think it is important that we receive information about
the resource base fundamental to the piano industry. In light of that, I offer
special thanks to Audrey Karabinus and Don Mannino who have recently provided
posts about the wood we "piano people" depend on to be in business. Why not go
one step farther (are you listening Steve Brady, oh creative and wonderful new
Tech Editor) and have a regular column in the Journal about our Resource base?
Maybe call it the "Resource Fact Column"? We need to be informed so that we
can offer sound advice to policy makers that affect the quantity and quality
of the resources we depend on. In case you didn't realize it, there are still
corporations in the world outside of the piano industry that are trying to
strike deals with the National Forest Service to clear cut old growth stands
of Sitka Spruce. Sometimes the use of the lumber is intended for rather
trivial products such as the manufacture of paper and disposable chopsticks.
Not only is clearcut harvesting ecologically disastrous; but, given the prices
that Sitka Spruce can bring as lumber for the music industry, selective
harvesting over a long period of time is much more econmoically prudent.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory