Pedal Problem

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 02 Jun 1995 13:08:36 +0300

>Hi All,
>
>I really enjoy reading the postings on the pianotech discussion group.
>
>I have a problem with the pedal on a Conn console.  The sustain pedal has
>worn quite a bit and ovaled out the hole in the pedal where the pedal pin is
>inserted. The pedal has a lot of play from side to side, and wobbles
>severely.  Is there any way to repair this hole so that a new pedal pin can
>be inserted tightly, or should I recommend that they purchase a new set of
>pedals?  I am looking for a cheap fix, if there is one. I would appreciate
>your input.
>
>Thanks
>
>David Vanderhoofven
>DAVander@aol.com
>Joplin, MO
>Associate, Kansas City Chapter

Yet another method (similar to the music wire)--take one of those brass or
aluminum tuning pin bushings (come on now, we all have a box of them
somewhere!) and insert it into the ovaled out side of the hole part way. If
the hole is severely ovaled, you can put a double thickness in. Drive a new
fluted pin into the hole from the ovaled side and simply break off or
hacksaw the remaining bushing. The brass/aluminum is nice because it
compresses slightly, lessening the chance of anything splitting out.

Tom Seay
The Unversity of Texas at Austin
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu