I'm sick

richard west rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Sat, 10 Jun 1995 16:21:19 -0500 (CDT)

Enough already of "ads" and talks of ads; of cutsey and talks of cutsey.
Restraint, restraint, restraint--three little words rarely exercised
in today's society, but ones that will take care of many ills.  And so
now for something entirely different--TECH QUESTIONS (caps
intentional).

Now that we have some manufacturer reps on line, I would like to see
the discussion of action geometry reopened.  My question is this:  Are
all 9' concert grand actions created equal when looked at from a geometric
perspective?  In other words, can there be many geometric variations
to get the most power, repetition, and control out of an action given
a 9' length and less concern about the economics of building the
"ideal" piano than a smaller grand.  Secondly, if there is an ideal,
can we in the field really recognize that any one particular action is
not up to par.  I'm not an engineer or physicist and many measurements
I might make would be far from scientific.  If I promise to "improve"
an action and fuss with the geometry, can I be reasonably sure I'll
get results.  I don't want to promise the moon and end up with blue
cheese (for those of you who like blue cheese, I apologize.)

I'll hang up now and wait for the replies.

Richard West
University of Nebraska