Re piano to univ tech formu

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 13:46:05 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  1:27 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re piano to univ tech formula         Date:  6/13/95

      ------ORIGINAL POSTINGS-------

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995 Kam544@aol.com wrote:

> Mr. Harvey,
>
> The College and University Technicians group did publish a booklet a while
> back.
>
> Tom McNeil, RPT, current Chair of College and University Technicians
> Committee, would know of its status.  And most likely, other committee
> members, Ken Sloane or Mike Reiter, as well.

I'm waiting for the PTG to hire a consulting business who would look at
this issue from an objective standpoint.  The Guild's presentation, while
it may have merit, has little ground to stand on because it appears to be
self-serving (the Guild is made up of its members, the survey was done
among members so *of course* the outcome would be tilted in favor of the
members!).  So says the administration at this University...

Ron Torrella
School of Music         ** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY **
University of Illinois

       ----------AND ANOTHER PREVIOUS POSTING------

      I have heard something to the effect that Steinway recommends that
one technician should be able to care for no more than 45 pianos.  This
sounds fine for me (130 pianos) but the PTG CUAT committee recomends 60.
There are many reports and recommendations prepared by university staff,
faculty and administration commitees that are not discounted because they
where prepared by people who had the best interest of the institution in mind
during preperation.
      The best criteria must be are the needs of the students, faculty and
artists being met in an acceptable and timely manner without undue stress on
the technical staff.  These should not be killing fields!
      I think the document is well prepared and can be used as a guideline
for any institution.
      I would like to see it posted here for all to view and use as
possible.
            Newton
            nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu

             -------------MY REPLY---------------

To Ron: To my knowledge, your university is the only one to have responded
negatively to the publication (called "Guidelines for Effective Institutional
Piano Maintenance"). To the contrary, many College and University Techs have
used it to get additional help, more money, etc. It was a primary force in
getting Oberlin to hire a third full-time employee in my department.

To Newton: I agree with you  that this electronic forum should not be used a
killing field. The document is well prepared and thorough. It is available in
a bound format for $5.00 from the Home Office. If they want it to appear on
this electronic forum, I certainly am in favor. I'll talk to Larry Goldsmith
in Albuquerque about it.      Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory