key ratio

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 22:04:10 -0500

>> Date:          Thu, 22 Jun 1995 09:36:37 -0600 (MDT)
>> From:          Tcoates@aol.com
>> Subject:       Re: key ratio
>> To:            Multiple recipients of list <pianotech@byu.edu>
>
>> Dennis Johnson wrote:
>>
>>   Has anyone ever moved heels on Steinway wippens?
>>
>> My reply:
>>
>> There have been references to doing this.  It seems even David Stanwood has
>> mentioned it several times.  But no one has said how they do it.  I'm
>> curious, too.
>>
>> Tim Coates
>

>I have moved heels before by band sawing them off, sanding the
>surfaces slightly, and then supergluing them back on.
>
>---
>Vince Mrykalo  rpt
>
>Wish to be considered to know nothing: and if you shall
>seem to some to be a person of importance, distrust yourself-
>Epictetus

Doesn't moving the wippen heel  open a whole new can of worms?  Talking off
of the top of my head here, its seems that the change of leverage in the
wippen that moving the heel would cause would have an effect on the touch
weight in the entire system.  Has anyone done any research in this area?
Is this effect significant?

John McKone