Renner Parts

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 10:00:22 -0500

At  7:47 AM 6/28/95 -0600, stanwood wrote:
>>As a point of clarification, those parts only cost that much when they are
>>ordered through Steinway and Sons--NOT when they are ordered through Renner
>>USA.
>
>>Tom Seay
>

>The Renner USA knuckle is significantly closer to the flange center and in
>most cases is not compatable with the weight hammer that Steinway makes,
>(heavier than most).
>
>Stanwood

___________________

        I last ordered Renner parts in late April. At that time Renner USA
carried only two of the many (5 or 6 in all) shanks made currently for
Steinway pianos. They carry only the two Renner made low-leverage shanks.
One has the small knuckle and improved flange, the other is what Steinway
calls pre-1984. This pre-1984 shank with its fat knuckle and low-leverage
should NEVER be used under any circumstance. It is wrong. If you want
Renner quality with original low-leverage dimension, then use the the other
shank, which is not available from Steinway. If you want Renner shanks with
the higher-leverage Hamburg dimension they are not available from Renner
USA, but can be purchased from Steinway. From previous discussion, it may
be apparent that I tend to favor the orginal dimension low-leverage shank
from Renner USA, but I did also order one set of the Hamburg shanks from
Steinway in April and the cost was only about $300.00.  When did this
outragous price increase happen? That is bad news.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College