Renner Parts

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 11:56:49 -0400

Dennis wrote:

>I last ordered Renner parts in late April. At that time Renner USA
>carried only two of the many (5 or 6 in all) shanks made currently for
>Steinway pianos. They carry only the two Renner made low-leverage shanks.
>One has the small knuckle and improved flange, the other is what Steinway
>calls pre-1984. This pre-1984 shank with its fat knuckle and low-leverage
>should NEVER be used under any circumstance. It is wrong. If you want
>Renner quality with original low-leverage dimension, then use the the other
>shank, which is not available from Steinway. If you want Renner shanks with
>the higher-leverage Hamburg dimension they are not available from Renner
>USA, but can be purchased from Steinway.

Dennis,

My strike weight ratio data shows that for a given key ratio the Pre-84
supplied by Steinway yeilds the highest ratio and therefore the lowest
leverage.  The Post-84 Hamburg Steinway parts yeild the lowest strike weight
ratio and therefor yeild the highest leverage.

The Renner USA falls somewhere in between.

My advice is stay away from the pre-84 parts unless you have feather weight
hammers.  The Renner USA parts for medium weight hammer like Encore, Renner
Blue.  The Post-84 hamburg part for full modern weight hammers such as you
get from Steinway.

In all cases lets the key ratio be the quide.
Acheiving a strike ratio that is compatable with the strikeWt
is the ultimate goal.

By the way, what's the price of NY shanks now?

The population here on Martha's Vineyard goes from 11,000 in the winter to
over 60,000 during the summer season.  Needless to say I've got lots keep me
busy.  Bye Bye

Stanwood