Bilson & temperaments

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Tue, 02 May 1995 10:17:03 -0500 (EST)

I beg to differ about the stability of Fortepianos and the value
of tuning in historical temperaments.  Stability in my experience
on these instruments is acheivable and the all the sublties of
unequal temperaments are well worth the effort.

We have in our collection an instrument built in the early 70s by
Philip Belt.  It is a copy of an Andrea Stein, a vienesse builder
and a contemporary of Mozart.  This piano has toured the States
with Ray Dudely (i didn't go).

I have never tuned anything but historical temperaments on it.
I have prepared it on two occasions for NPR broadcasts.  One time
we did a double concerto of CPE Bach on the bicentennial of his
birthday.  I kept a recording of it because I thought it was so
good.  The other instrument was a harpsichord.

Michael Wathen