Vector problem

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 02 May 1995 09:43:05 -0500

>    One of my costumer has a Kawai piano ten years old
>and she tell me that is action is to heavy. After a standard
>regulation of the action the feeling is still on the heavy side.
>l' found that the captans was under the magic line
>for 1/8 of a inch.
>
>What do you do  to corect that?
>
>Serge Harel
>harel@llc.org
>Quebec city, Canada

Serge,

Sometimes a standard regulation is simply not enough to counteract the
effects of age and gravity on a piano's action. After ten years of use,
perhaps action reconditioning is what your customer's piano needs.

The first and most obvious thing to do is to make certain you don't have a
friction problem. Polish & lube the tops of the capstans, balanciers and
jacks and clean the knuckles with naphtha. You can also put some of Bill
Spurlock's teflon powder on the knuckles - it works great!!!  You might
then check the balance rail and front guide pins (clean & polish) and check
keys for tightness, both at the bushings and the balance rail hole.  Some
Asian pianos are known to have excessive friction at the balance rail hole.
You should be able to lift up the front of the key and have it move freely
down to its rest position without binding. Don't overease the holes! Also,
clean and check the wippen cloth which contacts the capstan - it sometimes
gets cupped pretty badly. Proper pinning of hammer centers is, of course,
critical.

If all the above has been checked and/or corrected and friction is not the
problem, I'm really not sure what you can do with existing parts to change
the geometry. Perhaps our colleague David Stanwood could give you some
hints as to your options.

Good luck!

Tom Seay
The Unversity of Texas at Austin