Copy of: Waterbased Finishes

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Wed, 03 May 1995 01:14:34 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: Bill Spurlock, RPT, 74077,3053
TO:   INTERNET:Wippen@aol.com, INTERNET:Wippen@aol.com
DATE: 5/2/95 10:08 PM

RE:   Copy of: Waterbased Finishes

Paul:

I've done a couple of pianos, some furniture, and a few batches of my hammer
hanging jigs with Hydrocote water based lacquer. I tried to stick with it long
enough to get comfortable with it, but have since gone back to nitrocellulose. I
liked the fast build, low fumes, and non-flammability of Hydrocote. I also found
it to be much more durable than nitro. It doesn't show white marks when dinged
and in general seems tougher and less prone to settling into the grain (grain
doesn't reappear after a few months).

However, because it is so flexible it is a bear to sand. It clogs sandpaper
constantly, no matter what you lube the paper with. It is also no where near as
clear as good nitro lacquer, despite the maker's claims. Dip a piece of glass
into Hydrocote and one into regular gloss lacquer and let both dry. The
hydrocote piece will look milky. Consequently the wood looks more like you used
a pigment stain (muddy) rather than a dye stain. Another problem was clogging of
the spray gun if you didn't clean it out immediately.

There may be hope though. Water borne finishes are developing quickly, and I've
read about a new version called Hydrocote Equal. It is supposed to have much
better clarity, succeeding layers dissolve completely into the last, it won't
clog the spray gun, and is much easier to spray evenly. One source is Highland
Hardware in Atlanta, 800/241-6748.

Bye for now -- I'm off to the Central West Seminar this weekend.

Bill Spurlock