Waterbased Finishes

William E. Darst darst@humanitas.ucsb.edu
Wed, 03 May 1995 10:04:26 -0800

>This topic might not be appropriate for this list,so if you wish, reply to me
>by direct E-Mail.

Please do reply to the list on this.  IMO it is most appropriate.  I have
tried the HVLP set-up.  I got materials and the gun from Bob Marinelli at
Pianotek a couple of summers ago.  He was helpful and took time to answer a
lot of my questions - he does, or has done a lot of spraywork.  But, I was
a complete newbie to refinishing and to handling a spray rig so I had a lot
of problems.

I did two grands.  The first one turned out with a lot of orange peel and I
still need to do a lot of rubbing out.  My second effort is fairly decent,
but I still feel that the final surface isn't polished enough.

I have too many alergys to deal with regular lacquers to any degree.  The
waterbased finishes are about all I can handle.

I would like to know about others using these products and any tips they
might have.

Bill Darst
Music Dept
UC Santa Barbara