Mutiple pianos

PianoTech@aol.com PianoTech@aol.com
Thu, 04 May 1995 07:24:20 -0400

Hello to all you university techs and others.

I am a new subscriber to PIANOTECH, have listened in a bit, would like to
introduce myself, and ask for some help.

My name is Art Jones, RPT. I am the staff technician for Settlement Music
School in Philadelphia, the largest community music school in the country. I
care for their one hundred thirty pianos, at five locations. We have six D's,
and two B's for performance (will soon add two more B's in a new building). I
probably encounter many of the same types of problems that you all do, and am
glad to know that this forum exists.

Does anyone know of any other such forums or sources of piano technology info
on the Internet?

Next year the school is planning a special gala fund raiser for their 88th
anniversary. They want to have 44 pianos, with 88 players, all going at once,
in a convention center. The instruments will probably come from the local
Steinway dealer (though I doubt they'll be Steinways), and it will be my job
to get them (or oversee getting them) ready and in tune (the Marketing
Director was going to give me access for the WHOLE day of the event, until I
explained that it may take a little longer).

I have heard in the recent past of similar events taking place, though I
can't recall where. Does anybody have experience with multiple piano
situations, or know of anyone who has? My mind reels at the thought of this,
and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Art