Re Vector Problem

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 04 May 1995 10:44:19 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:26 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Vector Problem                     Date:  5/4/95

Thanks, Michael (Wathen), for elaborating on why my sandpaper test will work.
I agree with you about polishing capstans, also. If there is no skating at the
capstan/wip cushion bearing, polishing is a moot point. I have proved this
many times over for myself by using touch weights and the formula for
quantitating friction  -- F=(D-U)/2. I take a friction measurement before and
after polishing, and the changes are obviously random and due to sampling
error, sometimes increasing friction a gram, sometimes decreasing, sometimes
staying the same.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory