Steinway "O"

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 16 May 1995 13:45:25 -0500

At  4:21 PM 5/14/95 -0600, stanwood wrote:

>I, and many of my associates, always have Mapes shrafe the bass strings.  We
>notice a definite improvement in the overall results from that option.
>
>For those that have never heard of the term,  Shrafing refers to the process
>of running rough sand paper across the surface of the core wire just prior
>to winding on the copper.  It seems to improve the contact between the
>copper and the core wire.
>
>David Stanwood

__________________

        I was not familiar with shrafing and it sounds like an interesting
idea, but since we are back to bass strings, I will comment on the core
wire flats.  A few months ago someone said that Isaac's bass strings did
not have a flat, or "straightened" core wire. This is not really correct. I
have been using his bass strings lately, and am pleased with them, but his
idea is not to eliminate the flat (which would cause hopelessly loose
windings) but to use two short flats. Mapes uses one long flat at the end
of the winding about 1 1/2" long while Isaac uses two flats about 1/2" long
with a 1/8" space between them. His theory is that this will lock the
winding onto the core just as well, or even better, with less total
distortion. He believes that this short space of unflatened core between
the flats is critical for minimizing distortion by improving flexibility
and "doubling locking" the winding.
        Also, I have not found that his wire is more prone to curling in
storage.  I do find his strings to be a significant improvement, but it is
impossible for me to know for sure what degree this is due to his theory of
designing the flats and what degree to simply his greater care and concern
for quality winding and exact lengths. Undoubtedly, it must be both.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College