sandpaper

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 17 May 1995 15:45:41 -0400 (EDT)

  To correct my earlier post, the Shopsmith disk is 12" dia, not 10".  As
for availability, I received in today's mail their "Father's Day" sale
flyer which lists #555434, assorted package of grits, which might be for
their Conical Disc, which isn't the style I have.  Their two 800 #s are
800-762-7555 and 800-543-7586.  One would need to call them to ask.  My
Shopsmith is great, except for the small table not being quite flat.
Some Mark V's have small dips in the table, up to .020" deep or so. They
say this is because it's an aluminum casting.  The factory has offered to
inspect my table, and replace it if it's out of tolerance (1983 unit),
but I haven't found a spare minute to remove the table.  I also use the
Aluminum Oxide disks to fine shape metal parts, too. Since the headstock
is simply a 600-5200rpm, 5/8" arbor, the uses are numerous.  For example,
I use the 6" buffing wheels from a jeweler's supply co. because the
Shopsmith buffs are cheesy.  The buff wheels (6" & 8") from Pianotek seem
good, too. Shopsmith sale is on 'til June 30, but might not cover standard
disks.

 Fred Scoles