Damper underlevers

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 17 May 1995 17:33:28 -0400

>On Wed. May 17,Jeff Stickney wrote:
>I am rebuilding a 1920's Steinway A that does not have the metal sockets in
the underlevers.........

Jeff,
I have had experiences installing the damper barrels in several sets of grand
underlevers,some with happy results, others,not so much. But, rather than
bore you with the details let me ask,since you are working on a Steinway-why
bother. You can get an entire tray with underlevers already attached from
Steinway or Renner,U.S.A. Considering the time it will take you  to make
multiple passes on the drill press, plus replacing the top levers that you
*WILL* break, it is far faster and cheaper to replace the whole assembly.
Plus you get the benefit of new wood ,new pinning,more efficient sostenuto
tabs,etc.. I'm not sure about Renner but you order a "B" tray/lever set from
Steinway. It requires just a little modification. I did 2 A's in the last two
years. One was an 1893 Short, the other a 1923 Long. Both received new trays
and levers. Excellent results.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com