Gluing & In-home regulating

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon, 22 May 1995 12:17:41 -0500

On Mon, 22 May 1995, yenniet wrote:

> I just have a few questions.  I have been re-reading some earlier journals
> (1988), and I noticed in the technical section that Susan Graham suggested not
> using aliphatic resin (yellow glue) to glue in flange clothe. Rather hot hide
> glue was the best choice.  My first question is this: What does a person use
> for the singular flanges encountered in the field where you don't want to get
> out the glue pot.  I have been using Elmers wood glue (is this a mistake?)
> What is acceptable for the tech. exam?

Personally, I find that Elmers *white* glue does a pretty good job.  I've
been in the habit of pre-gluing bushing strips then after pinning and
trimming them them (in that order), I size the felt with a 10-15%
alcohol/water solution.  The watering serves a dual purpose --
reactivates the glue and sizes the felt.  The white glue seems to be
more pliable than yellow glue so it should allow the bushing to expand
and contract more freely.  Not sure hide or yellow glues have this advantage.

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html