Copy of: Gluing & In-home regulating

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 23 May 1995 00:15:44 -0500

I'm intrigued by the amount of spitting that goes on in our profession.
I believe it was last week someone mentioned spitting on damper felts to
eliminate buzzing noises and now Bill S. prescribes spitting on
preglued bushing cloth.  Er...I suppose y'all mean applying spit by
fingertip as opposed to actually puckering up and letting the stuff fly!
(Geez!  Can you imagine the expression on Mrs. Befuddled's face at that
sight and sound!!)  <big grin>

In the first instance (I don't think it was Bill), I held my tongue, but
now I'm letting it go.  Spitting on damper felts as a means of getting
rid of buzzing sounds strikes me as being a little wierd.  If one has
just eaten a particularly salty meal (potato chips, hamburger, fries,
etc.), spitting on a damper felt may yield quite negative results, don't
you think?  I'm thinking "steel...salty spit...rust! *Not* good!"  :-(

With all due respect, Bill, unless one finds oneself in the middle of the
Sahara or Mojave Desert, why would anyone find it necessary to spit on
bushing cloth?  Wouldn't a drop of water from the spigot work just as
well?  And just how much spit is enough or too much?  Would that be
applied by fingertip or....<shudder>  8-|

I'm trying to remember the last time I realized that I had a wealth
of spittle at the tip of my tongue while I was at a customer's house.
Seems to me that, after all of that small-talk with the customer, I tend
to start wishing for a glass of water or coffee -- how ironic that most of
my customers sense that desperation and offer some form of liquid
refreshment.  Then, I suppose, if I happen to need to replace a flange
bushing, I'd have plenty of glue activator material! :-)

Here's spit in your (bird's-)eye...!

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html