Gluing & In-home regulating

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 1995 09:10:41 -0400

Thane,

Regarding the use of different glues, Del Fandrich does a class called "What
kind of glue did you use?".  This class presents the theory of glues versus
adhesives and details applications in our trade for the use of many specific
kinds of glue.  (Perhaps we could get permission to post his handout on the
list if anyone knows his e-mail address.)  Armed with this knowledge, I am
generally hesitant, in most situations, to glue bushing cloth with either
white glue or yellow glue.  It is my understanding that either one will
eventually creep through and harden the entire bushing.  PVC-E, available
from supply houses, does not creep through and harden nor does hot hide glue.
 The Renner preglued bushing cloth works well for me in pratical application.
 The only goos use that I have found for white glue is to glue paper patterns
together in the shop.

As far as carrying glues with me, I use a small ice chest to keep all of my
adhesives and lubricants in.  This seals the odors in  and keeps the glues
from freezing and the aerosol cans from exploding.  This way you can safely
carry a variety with you without worrying.  (I think that I got the idea from
Isaac Sadigursky.)

On the regulating table question, I use a heavy, laminated board with blocks
on the bottom that I clamp in the jaws of my Black & Decker Workmate.  This
serves for rough reg. and then as a work table whilr I finish the job in the
piano.  It's portable, sturdy and cheap.

Hope this helps,

Allan L. Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co
Berry College