Hammer steaming testimonial

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 1995 14:42:37 -0400

From: Daniel.Dover@Dartmouth.EDU (Daniel Dover)
Sender:     pianotech@byu.edu
To:   pianotech@byu.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
To Dave Stanwood:

A thousand thanks for your tip on steaming hard hammers to bring down the
brightness.
It works beautifully, and so fast!  Just a split second for each hammer in
the
spout, with a good head of steam.

I agree!  I haven't actually steamed any hammers yet, but I have purchased
the electric
tea pot you mentioned.  Dave's demonstration at the Vermont Seminar was far
and
away the most dramatic (and simple) voicing procedure I have ever seen and
heard.  I
must confess that at a lot of other voicing classes, the instructor inserts a
needle, the
class reacts with a wave of enthusiasm, and I sit there thinking, "well,...I
guess I hear
the difference".

Dave steamed a very bright hammer on a small Yamaha grand for only as long as
it
took to insert and remove from the spout, and my jaw nearly fell on the floor
with the
result.  Maybe I'll get over my fear of voicing with this technique!

Gordon Large, RPT
Mount Vernon, ME