crown

HartmanCJ@aol.com HartmanCJ@aol.com
Tue, 23 May 1995 14:43:18 -0400

Vince:
I may have been a little hasty in describing older soundboards as having
tension at the edges and compression near the bridge.   This may not alwa=
ys
be so.  The bevel of the inner rim can cause this but there are other thi=
ngs
to consider.  The subject of crown is complex.  What I should also point =
out
is that if the s.b. has adequate crown the downbearing forces will be eve=
nly
distributed throughout the board mostly in the form of compression.  This=
 is
because the curve of the crown directs the forces in line with the soundb=
oard
surface.  This is similar to how an arch works to support a load in
architecture.  In older boards with little crown the bearing forces will =
not
be evenly distributed throughout the surface of the board.  If the bearin=
g is
increased during rebuilding the board may de stressed beyond what would b=
safe for a newer board.  In cases where the crown is gone or even curved
under, the bearing force can be acting on the board in tension, pulling i=
apart.  =

As I said before the main reason boards lose crown is because the panel
becomes narrower across the grain.  There are two causes of the narrowing=
=2E
 One:  Compression set due to wood movement.  Two:  creep coursed by the =
time
the board is under stress ( time dependent deformation).  In a sense your=
 had
it right in saying that the board has shrunk or has lost it=92s elasticit=
y.
 Only I think these terms are imprecise and easily misunderstood.  =

 If you think this is of interrest please post. =

John Hartman